Monday, July 1, 2013

This Week's Installment of: 'My Parents are Hilarious'

My parents are in New York through the rest of the summer and have become ridiculously dependent on me to do random "English-speaking tasks" as I like to call them.

Last week, my dad broke his five-year-old flip phone and then requested the exact same phone. 'Unfortunately', the model wasn't available anymore so we had to order him the upgraded version... It's another flip phone, but I'm pretty sure it's made for geriatrics that are on the edge of crossing over. There is a 911 button AND an ICE button on the phone surface. And the numbers are huge. My dad, of course, loves it.



This week, my dad wanted to meet a friend in NJ and asked for the address. His friend suggested he "just text him the address." Instead of arguing that this was a bad idea (like he usually does), he accepted and then immediately handed the phone to me to ask if he could text. This was a life changing moment for me. I never thought the day would come. It was only five years ago that I taught my father how to double-click.

::ChildBecomesAdult::



6 comments:

  1. When my dad texts me he does is in the form of a letter, i.e. he ends the text with "Love, Dad".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, Meghan's dad does that too!! He also just learned how to send videos. I told her to show him Instagram... I'd follow him.

      Delete
  2. My dad uses those pre-written text responses...the problem with it is he only uses the "I'm in a meeting" one. I could write I'm dying and he would respond back "I'm in a meeting."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he doesn't know how to use the up and down keys. I had to show my father that the block on top have "sides": up, down, left and right. He just thought it was one big button! Parents...

      Delete
  3. My moms only text is PLEASE CALL HOME. Seriously. She could be asking me to bring her Orange Juice but instead of texting me that? she tells me to call her. ALL CAPS. ALL THE TIME. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that both you and Ms. Kamna both have the same parental problem. Lack of creativity in text messages!
      As a side note, I've only gotten my father as far as reading the incoming messages. Sending out messages is another hurdle left for another day.

      Delete